Thursday, June 26, 2008

The question of status

If anyone reaches this blog interested in procuring the book 'Okraalom', please get in touch through the address B.L. 137 Milton St. Christchurch 8024 NZ, or `phone 64 3 9812969, or email sambas@paradise.net.nz.

Yesterday I was rung up from Radio NZ (national, not commercial, radio) and asked if I would record an e-mail by `phone that I had sent to the station. They had put on a program on 'status', and were going to refer to it again this coming Sunday. Today they were supposed to ring me again for me to make the statement, but I'm not particularly surprised or 'put out' that they haven't rung, though it's a bit of a nuisance to be told to expect something next day that does not happen. This sort of thing happens because the compiling of an interview and views program probably involves planning a dozen or more 'leads' or ideas when only a small number of them are eventually followed up and used. Anyway, I thought it worthwhile to present the statement here on my blog:

"Good on the factory-cleaning man you interviewed last Sunday - not only him and his like but on people who look after small children and the needy elderly. Where's the time such people would have to think about status? In my view, achieving status in many cases comes more from current fashions, the media and cultural 'status makers' than from the deservedness of the status achiever."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home